In light of August being Women’s Month, I thought it would be the perfect time to promote some hard working mums. You could find the service provider you were looking for or be inspired to take that leap you’ve been dreaming of.
Q&A WITH CANDICE
1. Tell me a little about yourself without including details of your family and work (it’s tough I know 😂)
I am a reader and writer. Since childhood I have been writing books, short stories and even plays, so it is natural that I went on to study journalism. My other great passion is Spanish film and television. Not those silly tele-novellas 🙂 but the proper series and movies.
2. How many kids do you have and what are their ages?
I am mother to Alexandra (Lexi) who is almost 6 years old.
3. What is your side hustle? And when did you start?
My side hustle, also know as Lexi Loves Bows, started in July 2017. I hand make felt flower and bow hair accessories. I had been making hair accessories for Lexi for a long time. She was bald and even when her hair did grow she had very little of it. I was tired of people referring to her as a boy and so I started making huge bows and floral headbands. Before I knew it other people were asking me to make it for them too. It was only last year that I took the plunge and turned it into a business.
4. What did you do before starting your own business AND what made you leave?
I was in marketing / branding but left when Lexi was born. For the last few years I focused almost all my energy on Lexi. I decided that it was time to focus on me a bit more and turn my creative outlet into a business.
5. How do you allocate your time between work and family?
Fortunately Lexi is at an age where she can entertain herself (and she is good at it). I have an allocated time in the morning when I sit down and work. In the evenings I sit and work again.
6. What have been the hardships of running your own business?
I have been very fortunate that there haven’t been any hardships.
7. What have been the highlights?
Getting repeat business is always amazing! And seeing little girls out in public wearing my products is absolutely thrilling.
8. What advice do you have for other women who are on the cusp of taking the leap into entrepreneurship?
Don’t hesitate! Just do it.
9. How can we get in touch with you?